THE PULLEN HOUSE

 
 

Prior to being moved to it’s current location, the Pullen House was located a quarter mile west at the intersection of Falls of Neuse and Durant Roads. The Pullen House was the birthplace of R. Stanhope Pullen, born in 1822. One of Raleigh’s most prominent bachelors, Pullen was both an astute businessman and ardent philanthropist. His interest in, and love for, the city of Raleigh is still evident today. Mr. Pullen purchased a large tract of land in northeast Raleigh in the North Street-Mordecai-Oakwood area. He was one of Raleigh’s earliest developers and the architectural features from his birthplace can still be seen in houses in the area. Landscaping was another of his passions.


Pullen is best known for his gift of land which he laid out and initially developed into what is now known as Pullen Park. He donated adjacent land for the Agricultural and Mechanical College, which we now know as North Carolina State University. A lifelong benefactor, Pullen’s contributions of land, money and services also benefited Peace College, UNC-Greensboro and Edenton Street Methodist Church.


As a tribute to R. Stanhope Pullen’s numerous civic endeavors, the Pullen House is available to the public as a gathering place.

 

A Warm Welcome

A gathering place for friends and family in the community.